Skip to main content

A day at the Great British Business Show, London.

My badge at the Great British Business Show
Today I have been at the Great British Business Show in Earls Court, London, 'The essential resource for growing, improving and evolving your business' as organizers put it.
After doing some research about exhibitors and seminars, I knew exactly where I wanted to go, but never imagined that other great options would be available on my way. 

As a translator, I thought it would be a great idea to network with translation companies exhibiting at the show. Therefore, they were one of the priorities on my list. Then, I was also interested in attending the 'Growing online Seminar with Tips and Future Trends from Google', since my business is mainly carried out over the Internet. I also wanted to network with other professionals, because these days the networks I develop are mainly online and the chances of meeting people face to face are reduced.

However, after getting into Earls Court Exhibition Centre, I would not have been able to go any further without getting stuck onto a wall. Not an ordinary wall though, the business connections wall at the back of the Hall where I pinned my business card to gather leads interested in Spanish translation, Localization, Interpreting services or even Spanish lessons. It was a good start. (When I left, the wall seemed covered in wallpaper and my card was barely seen but still managed to get an interesting number of prospects)


Surprisingly then I was asked to feature on a video for an Internet service provider... Have not seen the video yet, but I will upload it here or add the link when it is available...Can not wait!!!

After feeling like a TV Celebrity, I headed for the translation companies I wanted to contact...They did not show much interest in talking to me..They were surely interested in getting more clients... not fellow translators... Shame...Perhaps it would have been a better idea to email them my CV instead of trying to get to know them personally.

Then, I had the chance of talking to the Managing Director of a Multinational Company who expressed great interest in the Online SEO and SEM translations I offer...and I believe we will definitely end up in business together. A plus plus...
The  'Growing online Seminar with Tips and Future Trends from Google' was full when I arrived, but I will do some online research to find out what was it all about.

It was time for a break! And 'The law of attraction', or the aromatic smells or the 'flowing energy' led me to the Imago People TV site, just in time for a 'chanting' session?.. Yes! I did not know what I was doing there, or what chanting was... but it felt good, so I decided to join in... Nikki Slade was leading the group and Rachel Elnaugh gave a short talk before the chanting started. At the beginning it felt weird, but then I was into it and whilst stressed people were looking at us as if we were mad, I felt we were growing from within and did not 'mind' (literally)... and in just five minutes I realized how important it was to enjoy life, a moment for your own 'self' and that nothing else mattered... I got a CD from Nikki after the event and when I played it at home I got more relaxed that ever...love it! 

Last but not least... time for Speed Networking before heading home... Almost run out of breath after the Speed Networking Session organized by T-Mobile. Exchanged business cards with about twenty people... It was great to talk to everyone and learn about their businesses... I hope I can keep in touch with them through Linkedin or other social networks.

All in all, in addition to the amazing weather we had, the Great British Business Show made my day. A productive, inspiring, relaxing and fun experience in which I was surrounded by high profile and like-minded entrepreneurs that are trying to make the best of their abilities and business spirit to shine during hard economic times.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legalised, Notarised, Sworn, and Certified Translations

What are certified, notarised, legalised and sworn translation services: What are the differences and the processes required for each of them? In the context of translations, these terms refer to different processes that can add various levels of authentication or validation to a translated document. It's important to note that the exact procedures and terminology can vary by jurisdiction, and the following explanations are based on general practices, including those in the UK. Certified Translation: Definition: A certified translation is a translation accompanied by a signed statement from the translator or a representative of the translation company, affirming the accuracy and completeness of the translation to the best of their knowledge. Process: The translator or translation agency provides a signed certificate along with the translated document. The certification typically includes details such as the name and contact information of the translator or agency. Notarised Trans

Translator in London: GDPR Privacy Policy

PRIVACY POLICY At Translator in London we are committed to safeguarding the privacy of those who contact us; this policy sets out how we will treat your personal information. 1. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT? We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal information: ·         information that you provide to us for the purpose of registering with us; ·         information that you provide to us for the purpose of requesting a quotation or hiring our translation or interpreting services. ·         information that is included in the source documents you provide to us for translation purposes. ·         information that you provide to us for the purpose of subscribing to our website services or email notifications. 2. USING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION Personal information submitted to us via our website or email will be used for the purposes specified in this privacy policy or in relevant parts of the website. We may use your personal information to: ·         enable your

Personal Branding for Freelancers

MARKETING TOOLKIT FOR TRANSLATORS |  The Language Show 2018 | Last November,  I presented a seminar at The Language Show with my colleagues Martina Eco, from  3P Translation  and Vasiliki Prestidge from  Greek to Me Translations . We focused on Marketing Strategies, Tools and Branding .  Martina emphasised the importance of having a marketing plan and following a strategy in your business as a freelancer. She posed thought-provoking questions and excellent examples of how the right channel can bring you the clients you are looking for. Vasiliki listed a number of useful tools that could inspire freelancers with ideas for blogging, help them save time, design attractive digital materials and increase their online visibility. I explored the idea of  WYSIWYG Branding . Branding may be considered as a concept which combines your business personality with the public perception resulting from the way you define and present yourself. However, defining your business pers